Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I feel pretty and witty and gay (what?)...

Do not fear, fans of Stevie G.B, this is not a post of me "coming out". I am NOT gay. I am old enough to remember when gay meant happy. In a way it still does. Whenever I see gay people on TV in parades, they look pretty happy. Gay is an over used and certainly misunderstood term. What makes a person gay? . Without getting too graphic here, since this is a family blog, last time I checked it was having sexual relations with someone of the same sex. Right?

What I don't understand is how did certain activities get labeled as gay? I enjoy writing, watching and performing in plays. I have actually been accused of being gay because of this. I don't get how listening to artists such as Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Cher or Judy Garland make you gay. I don't listen to any of those artists, but I don't get the connection. If I listen to those singers, would I suddenly feel the need to be with a man? I doubt it. I find men disgusting and repulsive. I like women, lots of 'em.



Now everyone is accused of being gay. Even muppets.



When I was in school I don't remember gay people. I never met one, or at least I don't think so. I guess It was a secret. I was so nieve back then, so who knows. I was surprised when Elton John admitted he was "bisexual". How could I not know that? Or Freddie Mercury from "QUEEN"..HELLO
That was kind of obvious, but not to me. It just never crossed my mind.



My all time favorite band, The Kinks had a song about a transvestite called Lola. I had no idea until years later what they meant by the lyrics "I'm not the world most masculine man but I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola". ohhhh, "and so is Lola". Lola is a man. I get it.



While my daughter was in school she would talk about this guy and that girl and say they were gay. I thought it was some new slang. I remember calling kids fags (although that is now considered very derogatory), but we meant no harm. On the day of my daughter's graduation I saw boys holding hands with other boys and girls arm in arm with girls. Times have changed. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Depends if you're gay, I guess, and I am not gay, so I don't know. All I really care about is how does this affect me? It doesn't. Unless it somehow decreases my electric bill, I really don't care.

I think it's a personal issue, but I am not gay. If I was, (and I am not), maybe I would feel differently. It seems to be about one thing.



And that is fine with me. As a STRAIGHT man (not gay), it's seems fair. I think they are people who live in America, pay taxes and buy lots of stuff. LOTS of stuff. Much more than I do. If gay people can vote, work and contribute to society, then I say let them get married. Why shouldn't they be as miserable as the rest of us?

During this last election, gay marriage was voted on. However, I think it was worded wrong. You had to vote "YES" to say "NO" to gay marriage. Confusing. How many people thought they were voting YES to gay marriage? I would bet, a lot. There were some Barack Obama voters who thought Sarah Palin was Obama's running mate. (Check a Howard Stern You tube post for that).

In closing I would like to say. If you're gay (and I am not, by the way. So what if I rooted for Clay Aiken on American Idol 2 - he should have won), good for you.


Just stay out of my neighborhood. (I'm kidding, I'M KIDDING...come on now, STOP, no really stop, that tickles, stop it BOB, stop it)


Gotta go...


(kidding...I'm not gay...really)

No comments: