Wednesday, November 12, 2008

All This Useless Beauty...

Everytime I go on line to check my mail, or my myspace page, I am greeted with faces of beautiful young women. They want to date me, talk to me, tell me to buy their latest CD. These girls do not know me and if they did, I doubt they would really want to spend any time with me. They look at least half my age. I am tempted to click, but am afraid to get some kind of virus, or worse, take out my......um.... credit card. I know the girls depicted in these ads are just actresses. It's hard to imagine women this attractive would put themselves out there so freely, but I could be wrong.

However, I have noticed that young people are much more attractive than they used to be. It could be fashions, hair styles, good diets. Mostly, I think, it's good genes. With so many different cultures in America having children, they are building a race of very beautiful people.

Recently, I looked back at my high school yearbook. I don't remember any girls looking like Taylor Swift or Britney Spears


The best looking girls looked like Neil Young.


Seriously, most of the girls from my high school graduating class look like they crawled out from under a rock. The teachers were pretty scary too.

I was no hottie either.
(is that one of the Jonas Bros?).

I have not seen any recent high school yearbooks. Are they airbrushing the photos now? When did we get so vain?

The problem with all this is we judge the book by it's cover. There are plenty of plain looking people out there who are perfect mates for eachother, but they are too busy clicking on these dating sites with pictures hoping to find the best looking one. Does it really matter? We all get old and ugly anyway.

The same goes for restaurant commercials. When I see commercials for Chili's, Fridays or Red Lobster I want to go and get the fat juicy steak or the succulent shrimp. Where is that food? It's not at those places. I ususally end up with chicken backs and hockey puck steak with cold fries.

It just seems so unfair and there is nothing we can do about it.

In the words of a great songwriter, Mr. Elvis Costello,



"What shall we do with all this useless beauty?

The answer is simple: Don't click on it.


BUT, if you would like to read the lyrics to this great song, you can click on this:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/e/elvis+costello/all+this+useless+beauty_20047267.html

No comments: